Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reserves during Covid will function a bit differently than during normal times. Reserve items cannot circulate in any manner.
- Reserves can be submitted in the same way they previously were
- you are encouraged to put the same materials you normally would on reserve
- The Music Library will start taking reserve requests on July 1
- Please submit no later than August 3
- Any submissions after this date will not be guaranteed ready for first week of classes
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please carefully consider which materials need to be made available to students
- Supply a syllabus with the materials needing digitization highlighted.
- This allows us to plan ahead and see exactly when materials are needed
- Any additional scanning beyond what is on the syllabus has a turn around time of at least a week
- you will be notified if it is expected to take more than a week.
What can be put on reserve
- Items from the stacks in the Music Library
- Items from the stacks in Founders Memorial Library
- Personal Copies
- Items for non-music courses (Art professors can take advantage of our location, etc.)
- Any of the items listed under Electronic below in print form
Electronic Items (only up to 10% of an item):
Note: Library Staff can create a LibGuide specifically for your course which can include these items.
- Book Chapters
- Class notes
See Reserves Services Policy and Procedure below for more information.
Senior Music Library Specialist
What cannot be put on reserve
- Items from libraries other than NIU (including any IShare and WorldCat libraries)
- Course packs
- Over 10% of an item, unless copyright is owned by requestor or they have written permission from owner.
- Course packs
- Unpublished works by anyone but the requester (or written permission of writer)
Reserve Request Form
Download and fill out this form to request library books to be put on reserve. This will be saved so that if you teach the class again, you don't need to fill it out again. The SMLS will email you and ask you to update it.
Personal Copy Form Digital
Download, Fill out, then print.
Personal Copy Waiver PDF
Download, Print, then fill out. This form is required for any personal copy that is placed on reserve. It discloses how your item will be handled, among other things. It is also used to track your items so that we can make sure they are returned to you. We will not place any personal items on reserve until this form has been signed.