Skip to Main Content
Interlibrary Loan Services for the College of Law
The law library's interlibrary loan services are limited to students, faculty and staff of the College of Law.
NIU students and faculty not associated with the College of Law should use the University Libraries' Information Delivery Service (IDS).
- Make sure the journal isn't available at NIU:
- Search for the journal (by title or ISSN) in HuskieSearch.
- Ensure the issue you need isn't already available online, or in paper or microfiche in one of NIU's libraries.
- If the article you want is not available at NIU, download the form linked below, fill it out and send it as an attachment to email@example.com. If you are not able to fill out the form, send the requested details in the body of the email instead.
- Most articles can be delivered electronically within a day or two but if materials will need to be shipped, allow for at least 10 working days for them to arrive. Due to Covid-19, shipments may now take longer than 10 working days. Please time your requests accordingly.
- The article will be sent to you via email.
- Use HuskieSearch to see if the book is at Founders Library or another NIU Library.
- If it is at Founders or another NIU library, you can request that the book be delivered to the Law Library or to Founders Library.
- If the book isn't at NIU: while in HuskieSearch, repeat your search using the All I-Share Libraries option. You'll then be able to request items from over 90 Illinois academic and special libraries. See the HuskieSearch guide if you need help.
- When you find the book you want, log in using your NIU ID (Z-ID and password) to request it.
- Due to Covid-19, I-Share loans are now taking approximately 10 working days to be delivered. Please time your requests accordingly.
- Loans for I-Share books are for 28 days, with up to 3 renewals allowed (6 renewals for faculty and staff).
- If the book isn't available through I-Share: download the form linked below, fill it out and send it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not able to fill out the form, send the requested details in the body of the email instead.
- Due to Covid-19, shipments may now take longer than 10 working days to be delivered. Please time your requests accordingly.
- You'll be notified via email when books are ready to be picked up at the Law Library.
- The law library may refer users to other libraries for on-site use instead of attempting to request materials via interlibrary loan if the material is needed immediately, a large number of titles is required, and/or a subject area is to be researched without reference to particular titles.
For more information:
-- last updated May 26, 2021
The policies and procedures of the David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library apply to all law library patrons: faculty, students, staff, and visitors. The law library reserves the right to update or modify these policies at any time and without prior notice.
© 2022 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.