Skip to main content
Interlibrary Loan Services for the College of Law
The law library's interlibrary loan services are limited to students, faculty and staff of the College of Law.
NIU students and faculty not associated with the College of Law should use the University Libraries' interlibrary loan service.
The policies and procedures of the David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library apply to all law library patrons: faculty, students, staff, and visitors. The law library reserves the right to update or modify these policies at any time and without prior notice.
- Make sure the journal isn't available at NIU:
- On the Law Library home page, scroll down to Find Books and Journals and click on Journal Search (all NIU Libraries).
- Search for the journal title. Ensure the issue you need isn't already available in one of NIU's databases or in paper or microfiche in one of NIU's libraries.
- If the article you want is not available at NIU, fill out an interlibrary loan form (.pdf, see link below) & return it to the Circulation Desk.
- Most articles can be delivered electronically within a day or two but if materials will need to be shipped, allow for up to 10 working days for them to arrive.
- You'll be notified via email or your student mailbox when the article is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- Use NIU's catalog to make sure the book isn't at Founders Library. If it is at Founders or another NIU library, use your OneCard to check it out there just as you do at the law library.
- If the book isn't at NIU: use the I-Share catalog to request items from over 90 Illinois academic and special libraries.
- When you find the book you want, log in using your NIU ID (Z-ID and password) to request it.
- I-Share loans usually arrive within 5 working days.
- Loans for I-Share books are for 28 days with up to 3 renewals allowed (6 renewals for faculty and staff).
- If the book isn't available through I-Share: fill out an interlibrary loan form (.pdf, see link below) & return it to the Circulation Desk.
- Books not available through I-Share may take up to 10 working days to arrive.
- You'll be notified via email or your student mailbox when materials are ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- The law library may refer users to other libraries for on-site use instead of attempting to request materials via interlibrary loan if the material is needed immediately; a large number of titles is required; and/or a subject area is to be researched without reference to particular titles.
For more information:
-- Last updated December 12, 2018
© 2016 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.