Skip to main content
I-Share & VuFind
- I-Share is a consortium of over 80 academic and specialized libraries in Illinois that share a common catalog. I-Share libraries agree to share materials with the patrons of other I-Share libraries, including on-site borrowing (for most I-Share libraries; there are exceptions).
- The I-Share catalog uses the VuFind version of the catalog. The 'Classic' version available at NIU cannot be used to search I-Share libraries.
IMPORTANT: Before requesting books in the I-Share catalog, you'll need to set up a Vu-Find account.
- Log into your VuFind account before starting your search by clicking Login in the upper right hand corner of the VuFind I-Share home page.
- Search for your item in the I-Share catalog. Multiple results may display. If they do, click on the specific version of the item you want to request.
- (Note: if the item you want isn’t available in I-Share, please fill out an interlibrary loan form & turn it in to the Circulation Desk. The library staff will see if we can borrow your item from libraries outside the I-Share system.)
- Scroll down through the Location & Availability information for the item to make sure at least one copy is available. Then click either the Request 1st Available tab to have the system select a copy for you, OR click Request this item to order a copy from a specific library. *
- You'll be prompted for pick-up information. Northern Illinois University should be pre-selected as your pick-up library. Select .LAW LIBRARY CIRCULATION as the pick-up location. Then click Request.
- You'll receive the confirmation message, Request submitted. Check your account to track your requests.
- To track your requests, renew items, set your default pick-up location and perform other functions on your account, click Your Account in the upper right hand corner.
- When finished using I-Share, always click Log Out in the upper right hand corner.
* Please note that if an item you request is not available at a particular library, the system will automatically move your request to the next library with an available copy. You do not need to re-request the item yourself.
- Log in to your VuFind account by checking the "Login" link in the upper right hand corner of the VuFind catalog.
- Enter your user name and password & click "Login."
- In the green right hand column, click "Checked out items."
- Under the "Renew?" column, click the box next to each item you want to renew.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Renew Selected Items."
- IMPORTANT: After renewing items, scroll through your list of items to make sure each was renewed.
- If there is the message "Renew request failed!" you have either reached your renewal limit for that item or it has been recalled by its home library.
- In either case you need to return the item by the item's current due date (or as soon as possible if the due date has passed).
- TIP: if your item can no longer be renewed, it's sometimes possible to place a new request for the same title from a different library. Ask at the Reference Desk if you need help with this.
Need more help? Contact us!
© 2016 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.