Library facilities are closed to non-library staff, with few exceptions outlined below. NOTE: All patrons are required to wear their own mask when in the library.
- Patrons may request NIU items for check-out and pick-up. Items will be available for pick-up within 24 hours of the request in library vestibule lockers, Monday - Friday, 6 am -10 pm, or at the Circulation Desk during pick-up hours. See Checking out Materials for more information.
- Non-circulating materials, depending on the item, will be circulated, digitized upon request, or available by appointment.
- Appointments (only available Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm) may be made to access distinctive collections or pick up items from faculty carrels.
- A limited number of laptops and WIFI hotspots are available for check-out.
- Patrons may schedule appointments to retrieve print jobs.
- Music Library is open for a few hours, twice a week, to pick up requested items.
- Faraday Library will only be accessible by staff to page materials
Reference services are available virtually through the library's Ask-A-Library chat/text service and submission form or by contacting your subject specialist directly. Please note: At this time, the most effective way to communicate with your subject specialist is by email.
In order to access many of the Libraries' resources, you need to be authenticated as an NIU student, faculty or staff member with your Z-ID or A-ID and password. For more information about authenticating and off-campus access, visit https://library.niu.edu/university-libraries/help/authentication.shtml.