Skip to Main Content
About Virtual Study Groups
Several platforms offer the ability to create virtual study groups to meet online and in most cases to also share screens and documents.
- Microsoft Teams, part of the Office 365 suite, is available to all NIU students at no charge. You can use Teams in a browser, by downloading the Teams program to your PC, or by using a mobile app. See the box below for instructions on using Teams.
The following services are not currently offered, supported, or recommended by NIU, but may be of interest.
- Zoom has a free version (time limit of 40 minutes if more than two participants) or a paid version (starting at $14.99 per month per host, with up to 100 participants).
- Google Meet, the premium version of Hangouts, is free for all Google accounts until September 1, 2020. As of early May the product is still rolling out and not all Google accounts may have access.
- Join.me offers monthly pricing starting at $10 for up to five people.
- Proficonf offers a pro version for $12/month for up to 100 participants.
Creating a Study Group with Microsoft Teams
To access Microsoft Teams, log into your NIU Office 365 account. Look for the blue 'Teams' icon at the top of the page. If you don't see it there, click All Apps -> to find the Teams icon.
Here are some links to help you get started using Teams for group meetings:
Short training videos from Microsoft:
Teams software - links to desktop/mobile downloads
Teams can do a lot more than host meetings. For more information about Teams' features:
Need more help? Contact us!
© 2022 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.