Skip to main content
Off Campus Access to Law Library Databases
There are several ways to access law library databases from off campus:
- Databases such as Lexis Advance, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law will use the same logins/passwords off-campus as you use on-campus.
- There are a few databases, such as RIA Checkpoint and some BNA databases, where you can log in without a password on campus but a login and password is needed off-campus. Please check with the Reference Desk or your legal research professor for how to access these databases from off campus.
- Most Law Library & University Libraries databases use this method. Go to the law databases and websites page and click on the database you want to use.
- Databases accessible via EZProxy will prompt you to log in with your campus login ID (Z-ID) and password, and you will then be connected to that database.
- As long as you do not close your browser, once you log in to one database through EZProxy you should be able to switch to other databases without logging in again.
- HeinOnline uses Shibboleth authentication.
- Normally you should see an image of the Holmes Student Center with a login box in the upper right hand corner. Log in with your campus login ID (Z-ID) and password.
- If instead you see a HeinOnline login screen when trying to log in from off campus, ignore the login & password box on the left side. Instead, in the box on the right hand side where it asks for institution name, enter Northern Illinois University and click Login. You will then be able to log in with your campus login ID (Z-ID) and password.
Need more help? Contact us!
© 2016 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.