Skip to main content
The policies and procedures of the David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library apply to all law library patrons: faculty, students, staff, and visitors. The law library reserves the right to update or modify these policies at any time and without prior notice.
The primary function of the David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library is to serve the teaching, research and scholarly activities of the students, faculty and staff of the College of Law.
Patrons who are not affiliated with the College of Law are welcome to use the law library’s resources for legal research or accessing government documents acquired through the Federal Depository Library Program.
- Please call 815-753-0507 before coming to use the Law Library to ensure staff will be available to assist you and the materials you need are accessible.
- Please review our Policy on Legal Research Assistance to Patrons to understand the scope of research assistance available to you.
- Please be prepared to show a current photo ID (such as a driver's license, state-issued ID card or photo ID card issued by an academic institution).
- Sunday through Thursday evenings during fall and spring semesters the Law Library is only open to the students, faculty and staff of the College of Law after 6 p.m. Access may also be limited during exams and at other times throughout the year. Please see our Hours and Location page for current information.
- Patrons who are not affiliated with the College of Law and who are not using the law library's resources for legal research (including, but not limited to, general reading or studying or accessing non-law resources on public computers) may be asked to leave the law library.
- The law library staff reserves the right to limit or deny access to the law library to any individual or group as required by the needs of the law library or the College of Law.
For more information about using the law library, please see the specific policies and procedures on the other tabs.
© 2019 Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. All rights reserved.